Vacuum forming is a specific type of method for creating plastic parts, often chosen for how economical it is. The process is capable of developing plastic parts of many configurations in both large and small quantities.
The process of plastic vacuum forming involves heating up plastic materials in a controlled manner until they reach a temperature at which the material becomes sufficiently flexible to be molded into a particular shape with the help of the vacuum. The heated plastic sheet gets forced against the mold due to the pressure differential that results from pulling the vacuum between the sheet and the mold.
What types of projects is plastic vacuum forming used for?
There are many different types of plastic fabrication projects that can benefit from the use of vacuum forming. The process is often used in agricultural and medical applications and can be used for the following types of products, among numerous others:
- Fascia for outdoor kiosks or ATM applications
- Engine covers for construction equipment
- Railcar trim parts and seating
- Lift truck enclosures
- Product packaging
There are many different materials that can be used in the vacuum forming process. These include plastic materials like ABS, PC/ABS, HDPE, TPO, HIPS, PVC and acrylic. This is just one more reason why vacuum forming is often the method of choice for companies in need of plastic fabrication.
Why choose plastic vacuum forming
There are several potential advantages that vacuum forming offers over other plastic production methods, which provides some insight into why companies opt for this method in certain situations. Let’s take a closer look at some of these benefits:
- Fast: Vacuum plastic forming is an ideal fabrication method for companies that need to develop their products rapidly.
- Tight budgets: For companies that have tight tooling budgets, plastic vacuum forming is a much more economical option that allows them to stay within their budgetary constraints.
- Large or multi-use: Plastic vacuum forming is popular because it can be used to create parts of a wide range of sizes and uses. If your needs include parts that are of significant size or need to be particularly versatile, then plastic vacuum forming may be the right choice for you.
- Specific volume: Plastic vacuum forming is an ideal method of fabrication for companies that have moderate annual volumes. Its versatility and economic nature are good for companies that have sizable but not immense needs.
Are you interested in learning more about what plastic vacuum forming can be used for and the kinds of work we perform at our company? We encourage you to contact the team of plastic forming experts at D&D Plastics with any questions you have. We are always happy to discuss project ideas with potential customers, so you can get a sense of our capabilities and how we can help you achieve your plastic formation goals. Reach out today to arrange a consultation—we look forward to getting started and learning more about your needs!
Categorised in: Plastic Vacuum Forming
This post was written by Writer