Things to Consider When Picking a Source for Your Plastic SheetsApril 6, 2020 10:07 pm Leave your thoughts
As plastic designers, developers and manufacturers, the team at D&D Plastics is familiar with the multitude of uses for hard plastic sheets—which is why we have plastic sheets for sale in their raw form to other manufacturers in Utah and beyond. Deciding which kind of sheets to use for your specific project depends on several different factors, as not every type will be suitable for your needs.
Types of plastic sheets
- Rigid vinyl film: Rigid vinyl film, also known as rigid PVC, can be used for a range of different products, from packaging to gift cards. It comes in a wide variety of different colors, gauges and finishes, making it versatile on top of being budget-friendly. Rigid vinyl film is chemical and corrosion resistant, making it suitable for things as heavy-duty as construction products.
- Polyurethane: Polyurethane also comes in a variety of densities and hardness, which makes it suitable for heavy-duty, load-bearing products—similar to what you might get from metal sheeting, with the machinability of plastic. It’s also abrasion and tear resistant, making it perfect for construction products, machine parts and more.
- Phenolic: Phenolic is a conglomerate of resin and paper, glass or cotton fabric, producing a hard plastic sheet. This type of plastic sheet works well for gaskets and gears, circuit boards and other products that need to be water resistant.
What to ask when choosing plastic sheets
- What type of product are you creating? This question helps you determine what kind of properties you’ll need from your plastic sheets. Is it something that will need to bear heavy loads? Will you need to wash or sanitize it often? Is it going to be a heavy-duty, durable product or something more ephemeral like plastic packaging?
- How much is your budget? As with any manufacturing application, your budget will help refine the options that are available to you. Once you have a budget and production process in mind, your plastic manufacturer will be able to point you in the direction of the best products within your price range.
- What kind of fabrication methods do you plan to use? Finally, you’ll need to take fabrication methods into account. If you’re using a mold, you need a plastic sheet that can be easily formed, while CNC machining will need a sheet that can stand up to lathes and milling.
No matter what kind of plastic fabrication you’re performing, getting the right kind of plastic sheet is key for producing the results you want. Do your research to narrow down the choices, then ask the team at D&D Plastics to help you choose the right product for your needs—we have over 35 years of experience in plastic production.
Plastic sheets for sale in Utah
D&D Plastics offers complete design, development and production services for plastic products, but we also sell raw plastic sheets for clients who have their own experience forming and molding plastic. When you’re interested in purchasing plastic sheeting for your manufacturing needs, call us today to learn more and get a quote.
Categorised in: Plastic Sheets
This post was written by Writer